APPLETON — A fire caused about $1,500 in damage Thursday and fire officials are using the incident to remind residents to discard smoking material in a proper receptacle.
The fire comes on the first day that the Appleton Fire Department announced it’s annual “Keep the Wreath Green holiday safety program.”
Appleton Fire Department units were sent out for a report of a house fire about noon Thursday to the 700 Block of W. Harris Street.
Fire crews arrived on scene to find a resident on the porch with a fire extinguisher. The fire appeared to be out and crews checked the residence for fire extension, according to a news release from the Appleton Fire Department.
Damage to the building is estimated at $1,500. There were no injuries as a result of the fire.
“The Appleton Fire Department would like to remind all residents to discard smoking material in a proper receptacle,” read the news release.
The “Keep the Wreath Green” holiday safety program is designed to promote fire safety and reduce the number of fires during the holiday season.
Appleton fire stations are displaying a wreath with green bulbs until New Year’s Day.
For each commercial or residential fire that occurs within the City of Appleton, the department will replace a green bulb with a red one on each of the wreaths.
Any time a bulb is changed from green to red, information will be shared by a press release and/or the department’s Facebook page with details of the incident along with holiday fire safety tips.
Last year there were only two red bulbs.
The department’s goal is to keep all the wreaths throughout the city lit with green bulbs the entire holiday season.
Hopefully, the wreaths serve as a reminder for citizens to be extra cautious.
The holiday season can be a particularly active time for fire departments because of added decorative lighting, candle usage, holiday trees and decorations, increased cooking and extra family guests.