APPLETON — Appleton fire officials say a chicken coop attached to the back of a garage started on fire Monday, but all the chickens were rescued safely.

Firefighters were called out shortly after noon Monday for a reported residential garage fire in the 1200 block of E. Park Hills Dr. in Appleton.

The initial call indicated that a chicken coop behind the garage was on fire.

When they arrived, the first fire crew encountered fire coming from rear of the detached garage. Fire crews worked quickly and brought the fire under control within 15 minutes.

All chickens survived the fire; however, they were displaced due to the fire.

There were no other injuries or displacements.

Firefighters are still working on a cause at the time of this release, but the Appleton Fire Department reminds residents to secure heat lamps using more than a spring clamp. Utilize screws or other mechanical means to secure the lamps inside animal enclosures.

Damage to the building and contents is estimated at $10,000.

The Appleton Fire Department was assisted by the Appleton Police Department and Neenah Menasha Fire Rescue at the scene.

.

.

Paid Partnership



By Dan Plutchak

Dan Plutchak, born and raised in Kaukauna, is cofounder of Kaukauna Community News.