Improperly installed wood-burning stove.
Appleton firefighters say this wood-burning stove was improperly installed, leading to a garage fire. AFD photo

APPLETON – The Appleton Fire Department says an improperly installed wood-burning stove started a fire Thursday in the garage of an Appleton home.

According to a news release, the Appleton Fire Department was dispatched about 7:45 p.m. to a report of a garage on fire in the 900 block of West Glendale in Appleton.

The initial call indicated that flames were seen coming from the garage.

When firefighters arrived, light smoke was visible.

Fire companies entered the garage and found smokey conditions and charred walls surrounding a wood-burning stove, which they determined to be improperly installed, according to the news release.

Currently, there is no estimate for damage to the building and contents.

In its news release, the Appleton Fire Department reminded residents to follow manufacturer’s installation instructions for any appliance, use materials recommended in the owner’s manual and ensure that proper clearance.

They also suggest that residents who rent their home purchase Renter’s Insurance, a cost-effective way to get re-established, should a fire occur.

Improperly installed wood-burning stove.
Appleton firefighters say this wood-burning stove was improperly installed, leading to a garage fire.


Paid partnership




By staff