Firefighters were quickly able to extinguish this smoldering fire in the outside wall of a Kaukauna home.

KAUKAUNA — Firefighters say a smoldering incense stick discarded outside in the snow blew into the foundation of a Kaukauna home, starting a fire that was quickly extinguished.

The Kaukauna Fire Department was called Monday morning for a report of a home that had an exterior wall that was smoldering.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming from the bottom of the outside wall.

The owner was home at the time and noticed the smell of smoke or this likely would have progressed into a full structure fire, according to a news release from the Kaukauna Fire Department.

The fire likely was started by the improper disposal of an incense stick that was placed in the snow outside the patio door, according to the news release.

Rather than being fully put out in the fresh snow, the incense blew into the foundation crack starting leaves and debris on fire.

“The moral of this story is to make sure heat sources are full extinguished and discarded properly,” read a post on the fire department’s Facebook page.


Paid Partnership

.

.

.




By Dan Plutchak

Dan Plutchak, born and raised in Kaukauna, is cofounder of Kaukauna Community News.