HARRISON — A fire that broke out in a village of Harrison home Monday was saved in part because firefighters were already at the station for their regular drill night and were able to respond quickly.
Harrison Fire Rescue was called out shortly before 6 p.m. Monday to a home on S. Coop Road.
Calumet County Dispatch reported there was a structure fire located inside the home and in the basement.
Based on hazards associated with basement fires, fire personnel opened a MABAS Division 122 Box Card prior to arrival, according to a news release from the Harrison Fire Rescue. Box Cards are used to request additional resources from neighboring fire departments and first responder groups.
Harrison Fire Rescue responded with a command vehicle, three engines, one heavy rescue, two utility trucks and one tender.
Hydrant water pressure becomes inadequate over long distances and firefighters need to increase the water pressure as it travels. This is done utilizing using a technique known as “relay pumping” and requires two engines.
When fire crews arrived, they found smoke coming from the house.
The residents were waiting outside and provided Incident Command with information regarding the fire. Crews then breached a door leading into the basement and went on the offensive and advanced to attack the seat of the fire.
The recent purchase of personal thermal imaging cameras (allowed the attack crew to navigate in complete darkness/smoke) in conjunction with firefighters already being located at their respective stations for drill night were instrumental in saving the home.
Their quick actions extinguished the fire and prevented the flames from spreading further into the residence, according to the news release.
There were no injuries on the scene to bystanders or emergency responders.
The cause of the fire was related to the use of a wood burner in the basement.
Harrison Fire Rescue was assisted by the following agencies:
Buchanan Fire Department
Fox Crossing Fire Department
Gold Cross Ambulance
Stockbridge Fire Department