Grand Chute Fire Department photo

GRAND CHUTE – Four people are being helped by the American Red Cross after their home likely is a total loss following a Tuesday evening fire in Grand Chute.

A neighbor called 911 about 7:15 p.m. Tuesday to report flames and smoke were coming from a home in the 4300 block of Gillett Street.

The residents were home at the time of the fire but were safely able to get out, according to a news release from the Grand Chute Fire Department. There were no injuries.

Investigators say the fire began on the exterior of the home and traveled up the siding, through the roof eaves, and into the attic space.

The first-arriving company officer reported flames and smoke coming from the roof at the rear of the home.

Because the fire traveled into a complex attic space, the crews worked for approximately 45 minutes to extinguish the main fire by pulling ceiling inside and siding and soffits outside to access all of the fire, according to the news release.

Firefighters remained on scene for several hours to put out all hot spots and conduct the initial investigation.

WE Energies was also on scene for several hours cutting off the gas line at the home due to the fire’s impact on the home’s gas meter.

The City of Appleton, Town of Greenville, Town of Neenah, and Village of Fox Crossing fire units, as well as Gold Cross Ambulance, also responded in accordance with automatic and mutual aid agreements in place.

The Outagamie County CERT team provided water, food, and other support for everyone on scene.

The Grand Chute Fire Department also thanks Neenah-Menasha Fire Rescue for covering the Town’s other emergency incidents while all Grand Chute Fire Department units were busy on the fire scene.

The Grand Chute Fire Department in its news release is reminding residents that improper disposal of smoking materials and recreational fire ashes are common causes of fires in the town.

Exterior fires like the one at this home are dangerous because they often extend into the attic before they are detected by smoke detectors.

Please avoid discarding cigarettes around mulch.

Dirt in pots is also not suitable for putting out cigarettes because the organic matter in dirt and plastics support extended smoldering.

Please use water, sand, and other inorganic materials in metal containers to extinguish smoking materials and dispose of recreational fire ashes.

Paid Partnership
Paid Partnership

By staff