APPLETON — Construction begins Tuesday on a stretch of Highway 441 from Highway 10 to the north interchange with I-41.
Wisconsin 441 will remain open with lane closures and ramp closures.
Gov. Tony Evers signed $9,792,000 million contract to improve 4.65 miles of the highway.
Vinton Construction from Manitowoc, Wis. is the Prime Contractor.
This is a maintenance-level improvement project. Work includes:
- Concrete pavement repairs
- Miscellaneous structure repairs
- Culvert repairs/replacements
- Storm sewer
- Pavement marking
There will be a continuous single-lane closure allowed in each direction along WIS 441 between County CE and County OO for 90 consecutive calendar days. For the remainder of the project, single lane closures along WIS 441 will be allowed during nighttime hours between 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Traffic impacts along county or local roads within the corridor are as follows:
- Single lane closures along County KK will be allowed between 7 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Single lane closures along County CE eastbound will be allowed between 7 p.m. to 11 a.m.
- Single lane closures along County CE westbound will be allowed between 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Telulah Avenue will have a single lane closure during daylight hours
- Newberry Street will be closed to vehicle traffic for up to 14 consecutive calendar days
- Pedestrian bridge just east of Oneida Street will be closed for up to 14 consecutive calendar days
- No other traffic closures on side roads are allowed
Interchange ramp closures are as follows:
- County KK ramp closure times are variable but generally between 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- County CE ramp closure times are variable but generally between 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- County OO northbound exit and southbound entrance ramp closure times are variable but generally between 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Only one entrance and exit ramp pair may be close at a given time
- No other interchange ramp closures are allowed
Note: Significant delays along WIS 441 are anticipated during the 90-day continuous single-lane closures between County CE and County OO. These continuous lane closures are currently anticipated to begin in August.
The existing pavement surface is deteriorating. Improvements will reduce surface roughness and provide a smoother and safer ride for motorists. Improvements will also extend the life of the WIS 441 bridges and pavement. Minor improvements are also proposed at the County CE and County OO interchanges to improve safety and traffic flow within those interchanges and reduce traffic backup onto WIS 441.
- Please see the Northeast Region Weekly Highway Construction Update for a two-week snapshot of all construction operations and traffic impacts at https://projects.511wi.gov/weeklyupdates-ne/.
Work Zone Safety
Each year in Wisconsin, both highway workers and motorists are killed and injured in crashes that happen in highway construction zones. Motorists should slow down, be patient and pay attention to their surroundings in this and all work zones.
For more information regarding work zone rules for motorists, the law restricting hand-held devices, and general work zone safety information, please see our work zone safety website at https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/safety/education/workzone/.